Tuesday, June 2, 2009

STATE OF PLAY (2009)

http://cine-lastnews.over-blog.com/ Pictures, Images and Photos

I just saw State Of Play http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0473705/
It's one of those movies that is fundamentally a good film, but it just isn't sticky enough to cling to the walls of your memory for too long.
I mean, don't get me wrong; I enjoyed watching it, but it just won't be getting a comfortable, well-furnished piece of real-estate on my DVD shelf when it comes out, if you catch my drift.
While there is nothing “bad” about this film it simply did not have any moments where it slapped me across the face and told me who's the boss, y'know?
Danza Pictures, Images and Photos
(Not this time, Danza)

Russell Crowe was great as usual. He constantly delivers and he's just one of those actors that starts to feel like an old friend who you always enjoy reuniting with on-screen. He's like a guy who's always got good stories and tells them well.
Rachel McAdams also brings her refreshing, 'best-girlfriend-ever' charm to the proceedings. While her role does not require her to do much heavy-lifting or reinvent the wheel as such; she fills the character's shoes well and looks comfortable walking in them alongside a veteran like Crowe.
http://cine-lastnews.over-blog.com/ Pictures, Images and Photos
(This dame is front page news, yo)

I have to throw praise upon Affleck as well; especially considering another review I had read mentioned that he was the weak link, so to speak.
Utter nonsense.
Affleck is an easy target for many people I feel, and it's unfair. The guy is underrated. I just think it's a case of putting him in the right movie. Sure, he's had his low points film-wise; but the guy hits WAY more than he misses. (Check out Good Will Hunting, of course, plus Chasing Amy http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118842/ and Changing Lanes http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0264472/ )
Just watch the way his character deals with some awful news in the middle of an important political hearing. His professional mask starts to crack and that small moment of weakness conveys more than a whole page of dialogue could. Affleck more than holds his own in this picture and a few of his scenes actually allow him more flair and room to stretch than some of Crowe's.
My crystal ball is in the shop at the moment, so I cannot comment about the “What If?” scenario and film that could have resulted had original stars Brad Pitt and Edward Norton remained on the project. All I can say is that you take the current players and then throw in Helen Mirren as a deadline-conscious editor under pressure, Robin Wright Penn, Jason Bateman and the always reliable Jeff Daniels and you've got no weak links in this cast, yo.
I've got no drama with Kevin Macdonald either. He directed The Last King Of Scotland http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0455590/ which was an excellent piece of viewing and his involvement was one of the this film's attractions for me.

So maybe it's because I'm not Johnny Politics or maybe I should check out the original BBC miniseries, but this flick is not one that's going to stay with me long after the drive home.
A solid story was told and I had a good time along the way in the company of those involved, but I never felt that 'cinematic tingle' that let's me know when I'm watching something destined to be a classic.
But hey, that's just me.
Give it a play. It might tingle you.

No comments:

Post a Comment