Saturday, May 23, 2009

PAPRIKA

paprika Pictures, Images and Photos

I do enjoy that strange sense of seductive attraction that seems to creep up from behind you and soak into your clothes when you're watching something that makes you go “Huh?” at the same time as you lean closer to the screen, hungry for more.
Mulholland Drive does it to me.
Twin Peaks has the same scent.
(Hell, most dishes Lynch serves up have that familiar addictive potency)
Well, I just watched Paprika http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0851578/ again, and it definitely contains the magic ingredient.
I love this film.
It's yet another brilliant piece of work by Satoshi Kon, who is just beyond amazing. (By the way, if you haven't seen his awesome series Paranoia Agent http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0433722/ , then run away from the computer now, shrieking like a skinned gibbon and do not stop until you reach a DVD merchant who sells you a boxset of this title. It is crucial viewing, and my favourite anime series I might add, but I shall save all that for a later post.)
Movies, and anime, of this high level of artistic polish and intellectual depth are the kinds of waters in which I enjoy bathing.
And people ask me why I don't dip my feet into sludge like Dragonball Z.

Now, if you have ever deeply yearned to witness a giant, hot, naked dream-goddess nullify the existence of a sinister, power-hungry being composed of oily nightmares in order to repair the torn fabric of reality, then this just may be the film for you.
Oh, and she defeats him by eating him. That's right, kids.
Couple that with the unsettling scene involving the main character's bizarro sexual assault at the hands of a seedy lepidopterist (Yes, I had to look it up too) and you're in for a night of viewing that will assuredly have you checking your beverage of choice for trace evidence of possible spiking.
17 Pictures, Images and Photos
(Your face will look like this often. Now check that drink...)

Those feelings of fear and paranoia actually add to the experience and go toward making this film a richer experience.
There's also a sense of helplessness felt by both the characters and the viewer as all witness these ordinary dreams rendered in bright, non-threatening primary colours slowly take on a subtle tone of terrifying menace.
Cinema enthusiasts will also get into this as it plays around with audience vs character dynamic and bends the fourth wall boundary here and there.

So definitely check out Paprika if you get the chance. It may have moments that are 2 scoops of baffling but that just adds to the flavour.
Besides; there is more originality displayed before the opening credits finish than most Hollywood films sprinkle in during a 2 hour runtime.

1 comment:

  1. I saw this, and while initially it was sound (and the animation and art direction were superb), the story just didn't go anywhere special, the imagery just devolved into artistic wankery. I doubt anyone's dreams are really like that, I have no clue how the fuck space and time started folding, it just "happenned" The cop was cool, but don't get me started about the whole website thing, ugh.

    but that's just me.

    cheers to you

    -LFW

    ReplyDelete